EMPLOYERS EXPOSING UNTRAINED WORKERS TO ASBESTOS WILL BE PENALISED!!
Asbestos is by far the single largest cause of occupation death in the UK with about 5,000 employees and self employed persons dying every year from asbestos related diseases.
Asbestos was used extensively in buildings from the 1950's to the 1980's. It was used because of the diverse properties it had. Asbestos could be used for fireproofing; it was resistant to chemicals; it was flexible and could be woven into ropes and gasket; and it could be incorporated into other materials. Above all, it was cheap.
This half day course is designed to provide delegates with an understanding of why it was used, where it is likely to be found and how to recognise possible sources.
The people who's work may bring them into contact with asbestos such as Site Managers, Foremen, tradesmen, maintenance workers etc.
COUSE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
By the end of the course, delages should be able to:
- Identify where asbestos is found
- Identify the health risks associated with asbestos
- Identfiy the measures to be taken on discovering possible sources of asbestos
- Be aware of the basic requirements of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006
The benefits of attending this course are that delegates will be more aware of the problems of asbestos in building and will be more likely to report potential hazards before exposure occurs.
TRAINING & ASSESSMENT METHODS
The course will be in the form of a PowerPoint presentation. Delegates will be required to complete an end of course confirmation test.
The couse covers:
- The identification of asbestos
- An introduction to the relevant legislation
- The health effects from asbestos
- Where asbestos can be found
- Measure to be taken on discovering potential asbestos containing materials
The maximum number of delegates is 20.
Successful participants will receive an attendance certificate from Akeva Safety Solutions Ltd valid for 1 year.